Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Alumni Spotlight: Shane Hill

Name:  Shane Hill
Graduation year:  2001
Degree earned:  Theatre/Communication
Current city:  Abilene
Current job:  Executive Director – Abilene Community Theatre


Why did you pick McMurry?
To be honest, I started out at Hardin Simmons.  After one semester, I transferred to McMurry because of the reputation that the theatre department has.  I wanted to be get on stage and learn as much about the craft as possible.  McMurry allowed me to do this.    

What was your favorite show you were a part of at McMurry?
Acting-wise, it’s a toss up between Little Shop of Horrors, Assassins, Shadow Box.  The first full length show that I directed at McMurry, Wit, was one of my favorite theatrical experiences anywhere.

Do you think your (theatre) education at McMurry prepared you?
My McMurry education was integral in my preparation for this job.  The faculty at McMurry taught me so much about so many aspects of the theatre, I felt that I was very prepared for this position.

Give any advice you can to current or perspective students.
Be patient and take nothing for granted.  It’s easy to take a production for granted if your involvement is minimal, but understand that theatre is a collaborative art form and it takes everyone working hard to make it good.  If you allow yourself to become immersed in your craft, you will enjoy the outcome.

Please give us a peek at your favorite memory from college (if you can pick just one).
I have so many...
One of my favorites was the trip to Austin to perform at TETA.  This was the first year that a playwright from McMurry won, and we, as actors, had no idea what to expect.  We set up on stage in the ballroom of the hotel and did our show.  The audience was so receptive and asked so many excellent questions.  We felt like we were part of something huge.  Looking back and seeing how many times McMurry has won this honor, I guess we were part of something huge.

Be honest, how was the transition from college life to the “real world”?
Odd.  I went from being in college to working in colleges.  I worked in the department of Student Activities at McMurry, the College of Wooster in Ohio, and Northwood University in Dallas.  I loved that, at all of these schools, I was still able to express myself theatrically while working.  It was quite a blessing and definitely helped with the transition.


Tell us a little about your current job.
I am now the Executive Director at Abilene Community Theatre.  This job is very much a homecoming for me.  I did my first full length show in this space.  Being a small theatre, I am responsible for all the day-to-day activities of the theatre, as well as overseeing work calls, set designs, and serving as an advisor to our guest directors.  All of this in addition to writing grants and seeking out funds for the theatre.

What is your favorite thing about your current job?
The interaction with the volunteers.  I love working with the directors, actors, and crews for each show.  I also enjoy getting out into the community to promote theatre in Abilene.

What lead you to your current job?
I was working Dallas when this position became available.  I received a phone call from one of the board members asking if I would be interested in applying for the position.  I did…and the rest is history.

What do you miss most about college life?
The resources.  A university gives you so many opportunities for growth and self-learning.  These are much more difficult to find in the real world.

If you could change one thing about your time at McMurry, what would it be?
I would have paid more attention in stagecraft and scenic design.  I was never really technically-minded.  The first time I had to build a set from scratch, I called Charlie with a few questions.  He laughed and made some reference to karma

No comments:

Post a Comment