Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Meet our friend Mike.

While our students and faculty are a vital part of making the shows in our department happen, we also have to thank a friend of our department, one who has put in much time and effort, one who constantly supports us. That being said, we wanted everyone to get to know a little more about...

Name:  mike stephens
Job Title: Database Manager, and adjunct instructor in the School of Business






As a staff member not related to the department, what made you decide to be involved in theatre at McMurry?

Well, my wife Kelly and I started attending performances shortly after I started working for McMurry in February 2007. But what got me on the stage was Philip Craik asking if I’d be interested in auditioning for one of the summer musicals in the spring of 2008. I asked what it was, and he told me it was “Little Women”. My response was that I was neither little, nor a woman, but I was still cast as “Mr. Laurence”

Do you think it's been a rewarding experience?

Absolutely! I’ve been able to develop relationships with students, faculty, staff, and patrons that never would have happened otherwise!

What is your favorite part about doing shows with our group?

Can I just say, “see above”? Seriously, for me it’s about getting to know other people. Yes, I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a blast to be on stage. But just getting to build friendships, particularly with the students, is the most rewarding part.

Are you involved with theatre anywhere else in town?

I’ve been involved with the Abilene Community Theatre since early 2010. Have been in the cast of a couple of shows there, helped with much of the set construction for most of the shows since January of ’11, and even designed the set for “Panache”, directed by McMurry grad Kayla Weinkauf. And now I’m directing “Love, Sex, and the IRS”, a farce which opens on January 19, ’12.

Do you have a favorite part of theatre (acting, directing, etc.), if so, what is it?

I’m a ham with an amazingly large ego, so it is a blast to perform. But the directing bug has really bit hard, so I’m really enjoying putting together my show.

What is your favorite show to have been a part of, thus far?

I have great memories of every show I’ve done, but it’ll have to be a toss up between “Edna” in “Hairspray” this last summer (I really fell in love with her character), or “Lou Cohn” in Homecoming’s “1940s Radio Hour” (doing the sound effects at the table was a blast!). both shows shared the fun part of live theatre: we had to do some improve to get out of technical difficulties mid show.

Would you encourage other older, non-student members of the McMurry and Abilene area to get involved? What would you tell them?

Without a doubt! Particularly for the summer shows, the McMurry shows are generally open auditions, so take the chance if you think you have the acting bug. And if you don’t want to actually get on stage, but want to be a part, the McMurry theatre program will not turn down a donation. Same with ACT – there are so many fun ways to be involved, and being on stage is just one of them. The easiest thing to do is just ask, and someone can tell you how to get involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment