Thursday, December 15, 2011

Student Spotlight: Miranda Priddy




Name: Miranda Priddy
Age: 19
Classification: Sophomore
Hometown: Stephenville, TX
Major/Minor? Theatre Arts Education/ English



Why did you decide to come to McMurry?
I came to McMurry for a few different reasons. I was never drawn towards a huge university and the thought of being in a school where I would be treated as a number terrified me. One of my mom’s best friends came to McMurry as did a few people from my church, so I had heard of it. When it came time to go and look at different schools, I found that the professors at McMurry were welcoming, going to provide me with as many opportunities as they could, and they ultimately want me to succeed. I also picked McMurry because they are one of a few schools in Texas that have a major specifically designed for students who want to take theatre into high schools. 

What has been your favorite show /role to be in, thus far? Why?
That’s an incredibly difficult question. Maybe because I’ve only been at McMurry three semesters! My favorite show to be in would have to be Rumors, which we did in June of 2011. We had an incredible cast that was fun to work with, and I loved my costume. My favorite role would have to be Player F from USA that we did in November of 2011. It was an great challenge because it was so much memorization. I loved the payoff though, especially when I made it through my 7 or 8 minute long Isadora monologue! 

What show are you looking forward to most this year?
I am most looking forward to directing my own show this spring! I’ll be taking Directing 1 in the spring and at the end of the semester, we’ll get to direct our own one act. It’s what I am hoping to learn the most about. 

What do you like most about theatre? (Writing, directing, acting, designing, etc.?) Why?
This must be a trick question. I love everything about theatre. I love staying up late at lighting focuses, I love painting the sets, I love to hate putting on castors to platforms, I love being on stage, I love being in the booth, I love building costumes, I love interacting with customers when I sell tickets, and I love that McMurry lets me do all of this and more for each show. 

What other activities are you involved in on campus?
I am also an Honors Student. I am involved in the social club Gamma Sigma. I also am members of a few different honors societies. I am most dedicated to theatre though, so that takes up the most of my time. 


What is your finest achievement so far at McMurry? 
I hope to say that it will be making an A in Theatre History this semester! In all seriousness though, I think it would be the feeling I got after having my sit down meeting with all of the directors after my first semester here. I liked that I had a chance to meet with all of them and they could tell me what they noticed I was doing well, and what I needed to improve on to be a better theatre major for the future. Nothing is more rewarding than getting a compliment from one of the professors here because of their outstanding credentials. 


Anything use you would like to share with prospective students?If you’re looking for a department that will challenge you and teach you, McMurry will provide that. If you’re ready to work, learn, and create, you will have that opportunity right away instead of at larger universities where some opportunities are reserved for older students. 

What is the most challenging thing about being a theatre major?

Time management. Everyone will tell you this. If you manage time well, you’ll be a great theatre major. If not, buy a daily planner and actually use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment